Wednesday, April 1, 2009

cannot always have it your way

I am in Mexico on my spring break and today I went to a real authentic taco stand in Playa De Carmen, Mexico. It was so different from anywhere I have ever eaten before. It was a whole in the wall, it was in like in a roll up garage and man that was working there lived in the back. This place had no options, carnitas, tortillas, Jabanero sauce, onions, coke, and orange soda. That was all they had on the menu I was so confused. It was like nothing I had ever seen before. All they had was carnitas tacos when Jabanero sauce, and boy was it hot. I did not taste it until I was half way done with my second taco. It burned my mouth so bad. They did not even sell water when I asked for water the man went next door and bought a bottle of water for 10 pesos. The man laughed at me when I asked if they had beans and rice. At first it was kind of scary because I did not know what anything was going to be like. But then I started to realize that everything was so simple. It is so crazy how everyone takes it for granted all these sauces and options.
It was so cheap, since Mexico goes by kilos, we got 1 kilo, tortillas, a total of 8 bottled drinks and our totals was only eighteen American dollars. It was cheaper to eat there then at McDonalds for breakfast that morning. You cannot even image how good it was as well. Just like the day before my family and I ate at a hotdog stand, and it was ten American dollars for four sodas and ten hot dogs.
It really makes me wonder how it is fair when we go through the drive through at any American fast food place and we pay like five or six dollars just to get a meal. That is nowhere near how good these places were. Eating at these two places was really a reality check because it really tripped me out. I could not get my head around how they can give you this much food for so cheap. I am still puzzled.

No comments:

Post a Comment